Here's everything you need to know if you want to find out how to progress in further education as an asylum seeker or refugee

Further education (FE) for asylum seekers and refugees

It is very important that you apply for further leave before your current leave expires. Applications should ideally be made not less than 28 days after the end of your current leave. If you do this in time, the conditions and entitlements of your leave will remain unchanged while the application is pending, including the time that you will make any necessary appeals.

The following information is for young people who are already in the UK. If you are not in the UK, please see here for more information.

Our Educational Progression team gives advice about FE to young asylum seekers and refugees through our advice line and face-to-face support service. We've found that lots of people want to know the same information so we've written these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) as a first point of call.

This page is under construction. Please check back on Monday 10th May 2021 or get in touch.

Discretionary leave to remain
UASC leave
Refugee Status
An asylum seeker
Humanitarian protection
Limited leave to remain
Calais leave
Stateless leave
Section 67 leave
Indefinite leave to remain (ILR)
A different immigration status

I have:

I am:

Choosing a course
Applying to university
My previous qualifications
Alternatives to university
Extra funding
Mental health and wellbeing
Immigration status changes
University offer but no funding
Postgraduate studies

I need help with:

English language requirements

Other support and help