top of page

Mental health

and wellbeing

Who can I turn to if I need support with my mental health and wellbeing?

It’s really important to seek support and speak to someone for your mental health and wellbeing. For many students, university is a time of transition and you may be away from familiar environments and social networks. For many people, this is a big change and can sometimes feel overwhelming.


Here are some suggested ways of finding support:

  • Your university is likely to have wellbeing services available for students, such as counselling and advice sessions. Contact your Student Services department, Student Union or personal tutor for more details.


  • See your GP - they will be able to refer you for local NHS mental health services, such as CAMHS (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services).


  • Peer support groups may be available at your university - speak with your Student Union for more information about what is available. Student Action for Refugees (STAR) may also have a student group at your university.


  • The NHS have a list of helplines available for anyone seeking support for their mental health.


  • Samaritans provide a free and confidential 24-hour helpline for anyone in emotional distress on 116 123.

Here's more information

Click here to return to our main Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page for more information about higher education

Contact us for advice and guidance

Click here to find out how REUK's Educational Progression team can help you reach university through advice, guidance, workshops and funding opportunities

Training for practitioners

Join our training to understand the barriers to university for refugee and asylum-seeking students and to get the skills and confidence you need to move forward.

bottom of page